NGĀPUHI IWI SOCIAL SERVICES
RATONGA TOKO I TE ORA O NGĀPUHI
Roles and responsibilities
Ngāpuhi Iwi Social Services, also known as ‘NISS’ was established to be a key service provider to Ngāpuhi, by Ngāpuhi.
NISS was set up independently as an Iwi Social Service in 1996 and a year later was registered as a limited liability company.
In 2006 NISS became a subsidiary of Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-Ō-Ngāpuhi. NISS is also an accredited service provider by the Child Youth and Family Services (CYFS).
With offices in Kaikohe and Whangārei, NISS is the largest Iwi Social Service Provider in Aotearoa and access to their advice and services is free and confidential.
Lead by the CEO, NISS has over 40 staff across five teams:
Programmes and services
Lead by the General Manager, NISS has over 50 staff that provide 10 key services:
- Youth Services
- Whānau Support
- Care Services
- Social Workers in Schools
- Youth Worker is Secondary Schools
- Children / Youth Programmes
- School Attendance Service
- Parenting Programmes
- Family Harm Prevention
- Marae Programmes (Taitamariki)
- Programmes for young offenders
- Mentoring services for Taitamariki whose offending is at risk of escalating (CYFS)
- Marae-based programmes to build confidence and leadership within Taitamariki
- Our goal is to enhance life outcomes for Taitamariki
- Our approach is to work alongside of Taitamariki and their whānau in order to meet their care and support responsibilities towards their Taitamariki
- To support whānau to build relationships within schools and their communities
- Provide social work services for Taitamariki and their whānau within 20 low decile schools and their communities between Whangarei and Hokianga
Family violence intervention services, including:
- Information and advice
- Family violence related education and initiatives
- Counselling for whānau affected by family violence
- Counselling for whānau affected by sexual abuse
The Whānau team helps to bring out the best whānau can be through exploring possibilities to create positive opportunities.
Its services include:
- General social work support
- Intensive social work support for whānau experiencing multiple pressures
- Respite Care
- Mātua Whāngai
- Return-to-school services
- Care for tamariki in state care
- Parenting programmes
Board of Directors
NISS is governed by a Board of Directors with extensive governance experience, knowledge and networks.
Michael Kake, Chair
Mariameno Kapa-Kingi, Director
Te Miringa Huriwai, Director
Te Rau Allen, Director
Erena Kara, Director
A list of NISS Directors other board and governance roles are available in the latest Annual Report.
You can also read the NISS Board Chair’s report to Ngāpuhi in current and previous years Annual Reports:
2020 NISS Chair Report
2019 NISS Chair Report
2018 NISS Chair Report
2017 NISS Chair Report
2016 NISS Chair Report
2015 NISS Chair Report